Friday 4 July 2008

My Cousin (Part 2)

Ah...I saw all the comments so by popular demand I've had to post the part 2 earlier than I planned. Y'all are forgetting that this story is not about me. I just gave this prelude so that you can understand how she thinks and how it came to be that am looking for her now. I didnt plan on advancing church guy story beyond the point I stopped in the previous but am gonna do a quick summary.

I liked the guy and she liked him but he likes me which naturally gave me a upper hand. However being cousins I didn't want to hurt her feelings so I spoke to her about letting me be with him but she wasn't happy so I gave up on my mission. It was pure torture seeing church guy every Sunday and not being able to talk to him. The torture was not to last though cos Spice on finding out that he will never look her side set her gaze on someone else. The guy lived on the other street to ours and to say he's a hunk is an understatement. The guy was fit, much more than church guy and even I got jealous. However the dilemma was how to get this guy to notice her. So every evening after doing up our make-up and wearing our minis we'll head up to the junction of the guy's street. The reason we did this was because we noticed he had a pattern of taking a stroll in the evening. It was as if he wanted to be noticed too because he always looked fresh and sharp. For days we would do our mini camping but the guy failed to talk to either of us girls and we were getting frustrated.

So one day I decided I had had enough. I wanted to seriously be with church guy and I was hoping that this guy will take Spice's mind off him for good. So on one of our camping trips I summoned up courage and walked up to fine boy as I have now chosen to call him. I was startled that he smiled broadly but then my heart started to pound loudly. I could have sworn he heard it but the smile on his face assured me that I was making a fool of myself. I told him my name, introduced my cousin and just basically told him that he seemed not to have lots of friends in the neighbourhood because he was always alone and we wanted to be his friend. Surprisingly he was more forthcoming than we thought and he asked us over to his place. Turned out fine boy was a pro in scrabble and chess and Spice had the same interest so that was sorted. Soon Spice started to go there by herself and I was left alone to go after church guy. It didnt last with Fine boy and Spice though because shortly after Spice went on holiday to Texas came back with lots of gift for him he promptly dumped her for her childish behaviour. I know Spice can be childish a lot of the time but Fine boy really hurt her because he made sure he slept with her one last time before announcing it was over.

Spice's claws was all out for me as if I was the one who made things go wrong. I mean I was with church boy and we were happy but she felt I was responsible somehow. Things just basically went from bad to worse and whatever was left of her self esteem took a nose dive. I think that was the point Spice became notorious because she then started to see the bad boy of the neighbourhood. Bad boy was not in school, was skinny as if he had HIV (in fact it was rumoured that he did), was blacker than charcoal and was a cult boy (it was also rumoured that he had a gun that he used to steal things from motorists on the third mainland bridge). Long and short, bad boy was bad news but spice was too in love to see. He treated her like dirt but she went back for more. One day I got fed up and scolded him to leave my cousin alone only to find a group of boys issuing me warning a few days later if I didnt back off. Scared for my life I shut up cos I found that everything I told Spice about bad boy filters back to him.

So I left them alone and went to uni. By the time I came back Spice had become pregnant for bad boy which was pretty bad because unlike the rest of us who had passed WAEC and JAMB and headed to uni, she was still struggling to pass hers. And y'all know that in Nigeria when a girl falls pregnant out of wedlock and without certain level of education it is automatically assumed that her life is over. We found out then that Bad boy had been hoping that if he knocked up Spice they will get married and she can file for him to move to Yankee. Clearly Spice was hurt when we found out and she planned to get rid of the baby but on the said day of the termination her mum got wind of it and barred her from doing it.

Things never remained the same again. I left Nigeria a few months after Spice put to bed and the next time I saw her was 5 yrs later when she called me to say that she was in London. I went to see her in the hotel she was holed up in and saw her with another good for nothing bloke. Basically it was pure mistake that I gave her my number because shortly after that I started getting foreign calls on my phone saying that spice took their $10k away and they are sending people after her to kill her. They threatened that if I didnt tell them where she was they were gonna send people after me too but I threatened them back saying the call can be traced therefore I'd report to the police. Spice couldn't give me sufficient information as to why these people were after her so I just kept my distance and she disappeared into oblivion.

2 months later I got a call from Spice's mum saying they didnt know where she was but I told her I didnt know either. Turned out Spice had done another deal involving $80k and was now in custody in the US. Somehow she made a deal and was let off. Spice resurfaced in my life again telling me she had cleaned up her act and we were even planning to meet up but the week we planned it for she disappeared again. Phone off and no reply to my messages. This was back in May and I still haven't heard from her neither has her mum. Now am scared she's got herself into another trouble. Should I be worried guys?

39 comments:

Unknown said...

It must be an anxious time for yourself and the family, but hopefully she's fine. Maybe she's got herself in trouble and been picked up again by the authorities?

I'd start with the Police - declare her missing and follow the procedures - if no one has seen her for more than 72 hours and her whereabouts are unknown.

That aside, all you can do is pray for her safety.

Anonymous said...

You said she's here in the US? With family or by herself?

Is she in the same state as you??
I guess you can start by filing a missings persons report. Although the police might not jump on the case since it's been quite so long no ones heard from her.

Can I ask where the baby is??
That's the part I feel so bad about. That poor child.
This whole situation sucks.

LG said...

na wa o, c babe(spice) wey i dey pity for sef *deep sigh*
newayz swerry, like 'Musco' said in d previous post,'blood shld be thicker than water', so u shld be concerned ,esp bcos of her mom n her baby. do as Naijaline suggested.I pray she's o.k

BTW: Na me u dey yab abi???lollll
Cheers!!

Thirty + said...

Schwepps

This is 4 real?!

God will help you guys to find her, pray for her though

mizchif said...

I know my own is always different o, but 1st off, na cousin u call am. Not mummy, not daddy, not sister, not brother.
I have come to find from experience that most times, when you start to put your neck out for some extended family members, who are known to be shady, u sometimes get yourself into some kind of matters you would never have imagined possible.
I sincerely do hope she is fine wherever she is, but hey she is an adult and shd be highly capable of taking care of herself.
I just wish she would be less selfish and think of her family members who must be worrying. I also feel for the kid too.

My dear, u don't have reason to feel bad for anything!

bumight said...

u should be worried, afterall she's your cousin. then again, its not like you guys have always been in close contact. If anyone should be filing missing person's report, it should be someone who's always in close contact with her- maybe her mum.

where is the baby by the way?

QMoney said...

*sigh*,na wah oh!!!!
dis almost feels like a Nollywood movie!!
so on a more serious note,why are u looking for her?as per,she's your cousin not your sister right?i dont mean to sound mean but abeg,wats with the drama?
of which where is d child like someon already asked??

Parakeet said...

@Naijalines...you've spoken well but really Police in which country? UK, Holland, Venezuela or US cos those re the places she's been when I was in contact with her. Its difficult sha but I continue to pray for her.
@Abbie...she's not in the US and am not in the US either love. I live in London. The child lives in Nigeria with her mum.
@Lg...blood is indeed thicker than water. Lol at yabbing u.
@30+...its been so long I heard that "Schwepps", I wonder why Nigerians use it the way they do. We continue to pray for her.
@Mizchif...you're only living up to ur name love, lol. You're right though. It doesnt appear that she cares enough abt our feelings. Thanks for stopping by.
@Bumight...you right but I cant seem to stop worrying. The baby is in Lagos with her mom.
@Qmoney...this one pass Nollywood sef. The baby dey lag o jare...how u dey?

Nigerian Drama Queen said...

Wow..talk about D-R-A-M-A!
Yes you should be a little worried, but all you can do is pray for her. Getting to entagled trying to help her, might only land you in her wahala, and make everything worse. She is a grown woman, so she can make her own decisions and live by the consequences of them. When she is ready to get rid of all this drama, im sure she knows where to find you and what to do. Untill then, if I were you, I would do nothing save pray for her sha...

isha said...

Besides reporting to the police and all, pray for her that she's ok o. what about her kid? does the child's father know anything?

ibiluv said...

its aiight to be worried
but it dont mean you should help her clear her mess.............

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Hmmm...I am worried just like you are! Just that, I am worried about you!

I can see that you love your cousin so much going by the events that occurred in the narrative. But, like I have learnt, when people realise that you can't turn them down cos you don't have the heart to do that, they sometimestake you for a ride and dump their responsibilities on you. It is not bad to look for your cousin but the fact that she can't be predicted and her notoriety for getting into trouble should send a warning signal to you.

Just be careful the way you go about it...

Wish you luck!

Unknown said...

OMG I can't believe I'm late for this! I kept checking! Lol Ok I've claimed my spot so I can go read now. xoxo

Unknown said...

Wow. I would definitely be worried. She's all over the place. Poor woman. Hope it all has a happy ending...

Rebirth said...

i hope u find her......

BlogVille Idol said...

RUN RUN OVER TO BLOGVILLE IDOL PAGE THE CONTESTANTS HAVE THEIR 1st SONGS UP SO PLEASE LISTEN AND VOTE FOR YUR FAVORITE AND PLS LEAVE US A KIND COMMENT!

Anonymous said...

I need for you to remember that what goes around comes around....oh I forgot the story isnt about you. Well take care, and thanks for visiting>

tobenna said...

Well, since she has a history of disappearing, I dont think you should be too worried.
Ok, scratch that. you should be worried but there's not much you can do about it.
My suggestion is.....
Pray and forget about it.

Chris Ogunlowo said...

Yet another lovely narration ;)

Jay said...

Mehn...i was not expecting this at all....what drama!!

I understand you must be worried and concerned for her...if she is in the US, perhaps her mother can report her missing. You can't really do much about that issue.

She's a big girl now and you cannot make her live her life right...she herself needs to do that.

I hope she surfaces soon and starts her life anew...meanwhile, pray for her safety.

NikkiSab said...

u NEED TO BE CONCERNED. wOW!!!!! Its so sad wats happened to her. Who has got her baby?

NaijaBabe said...

I swear this just looks like something out of a typical naija movie.

I didnt know these things were actually true...ok it sounds a bit dumb but yeah!

I dont know if you should be worried o, although as a human being and more so a member of your family then I guess you should. But not to say that you should go around poking your face in corners where it might hurt you.

I'm not going to say do this or dont do that, cos God forbid something happens, we dont want you to be in the position where you will blame yourself for not making an effort to find her and help her.

All I can say is try the best you can, ask around family members and stuff to find out those that may have heard from or seen her, otherwise, pray for her and hope God keeps her safe and brings her back too the family.

Plus, what about the baby?

IT'S JUST LIFE said...

Damn!!!! dis is awful, wats going on with her. I hope u find her soon. Could it be dat esteem problem dat has driven her thus far? Goodluck in finding her Parakeet.

princesa said...

Ol gal, I fear for dat ur coz Spice o! It’s really sad, how she turned out. I hope for her and her child’s sake that she is okay wherever she is.
Keep praying, e go beta.

Jayn Sean said...

babes, will be right back k? Lemme go start with part 1. Seemes like a nice read.

Take care

Smaragd said...

gee, i fear more for u than 4 ur cousin darl, pray for her, look for her but pls be very careful!

O'Dee said...

U should, but don't blame urslf.

We all have our lives 2 live.

Keep praying 4 her.

Afrobabe said...

Of course you should be worried ….but at the same time I think you need to not look for her oh…let her creep back into the hole she came from…some friends and relatives just hold one back and I think she is one of them….

But you have no blame in the situation, she made a choice..

dat 1 okrika babe said...

Wow, thats some mess right there. My advice is not to worry yourself (worrying will only cause you more stress), all you can do is pray.
I have a cousin, i met her once when i was 11yrs old she was like 19/20 then. She "disappeared" about 10years ago, no one knows if she is alive, dead, prostituting,in jail or what.
She was known to go for months and her mother would not see her then out of the blue she would be knocking on her door.
My mom says people would call and be like they saw her in California in a strip club or with a drug dealer just some crazy things.

ShadeCrown said...

Na wa oh.. is dis frealz?? she's prolly okay but i would get the authorities involved, just incase.

Buttercup said...

oh wow, thats heavy stuff!

hope she's ok o...will put her in my prayers...

The Activist said...

It’s a pity things went this way for your cousin. How I wished she had got things right when she was younger. I do think you shd worry, just pray for her and move on with ur life

doll (retired blogger) said...

Just read part I and II....really there is littlr you can do...just pray for her and hope for the best.

It's all relative said...

really i was looking to dis u thinking thatthe story was really about u but to be honest with u we are who we are from when we are able to think for ourselves i believe we should try to make the right decisions and stop trying to blame others for our misgivings in life.
tell me r u single urself?
and if u r then what r ur plans

Allied said...

ahh.. this is serious oh.. it started out light and somewhat funny but its not. I pray ur cousin is safe oh? what about her baby?

guerreiranigeriana said...

...wow...that's a tough one...i don't personally like the idea of worrying without action...its bad for your health...if you can do something (like call the police, assist with a womanhunt, start a praying vigil or something at church, etc), then worrying could be good...otherwise, pray and release it to God...my cousin taught me that life is by choice...although you want the best, people make choices in life...she may very well surface, untouched...

...do update us on her case though...

olusimeon said...

hmm..this story is tight..sounds like a movie, i hope we are all taking some notes on how to be good parents 'cos i wonder where here parents were when she was doin the evening strools..and alot of other things that we dont even know about, all d best as you try to find her

Jaguda said...

hope the baby is well taken care of

pray pray pray